Same-Sex Marriage as a Basis for Obtaining a Green Card

imagesDid you know that you may qualify for a benefit on the basis of a same-sex marriage? In accordance with current federal law, same-sex couples can seek United States Immigration benefits based on marriage. If you and your same-sex spouse were married in a state where same-sex marriage was considered to be valid on the date of the marriage, or even if you married in a country that recognizes same-sex marriage, this could be the basis of obtaining a green card just the same as any “traditional” married couple. It is important to note that even if you and your same-sex partner reside in a state that does not recognize the validity of same-sex marriage, you can still apply for an immigration benefit if the marriage took place in a state or country that recognizes the validity of your marriage. If your same-sex fiancé lives outside the United States, there is even a way to bring your fiancé to the United States on a fiancé visa for the purpose of a same-sex marriage and ultimately, green card benefits. Feel free to contact the office for a free initial phone consultation to see if you qualify.